COVID-19: Resources for Manufacturers
- What is COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease)?
- COVID-19 General Information
- Preparing Your Business – Protecting Your Employees
- Business Continuity
- Current PPE Inventories
- Critical Needs Manufacturing
- Recommendations & Resources: Workplace Health & Safety, Human Resources Issues, Financial Resources, Additional Resources
What is COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease)?
COVID-19 is the disease caused by a coronavirus first identified in humans in December 2019. This is not the same as the coronaviruses that regularly circulate among humans and cause mild respiratory illness, like the common cold. This new coronavirus, formerly called the 2019 Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV, is concerning to health experts because so little is known about it and it can cause severe respiratory illness is some people.
COVID-19 General Information
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) website
- State of Wisconsin COVID-19 website
- Governor Evers’ March 24, 2020 Order: Safer at Home
- All Governor Evers’ Executive Orders
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
- Stop the Spread Flyer (English, Spanish)
- Medical College of Wisconsin: COVID-19 Facts (3.20.20)
- Medical College of Wisconsin: Flattening the COVID-19 Curve (3.24.20)
Preparing Your Business – Protecting Your Employees
MEP National Network member IMEC outlined five steps you can do this week to help prepare your business. You can read more on these steps here.
- Determine supply chain disruption risks
- Reeducate employees on preventing virus spread
- Review and revise cleaning schedules for common areas
- Work with local health professionals
- Communicate promptly
The CDC has issued Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers based on what is currently know about COVID-19. The CDC recommends employers use the following strategies:
- Encourage sick employees to stay home
- Separate sick employees
- Emphasize staying home when sick, respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene by all employees
- Perform routine environmental cleaning
- Advise employees before traveling to take certain steps
The Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development’s Unemployment FAQs addresses questions your employees may be asking.
Every industry in the U.S. has already been or will be significantly affected by COVID-19. Now is the time to create or update your business continuity plan. The Department of Homeland Security’s Business Continuity Plan Template can help you get started. More information on business continuity planning is available here.
Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce (MMAC) hosted a webinar for businesses on March 17, 2020: How your business can withstand a global pandemic outbreak. View the recorded webinar through MMAC’s Coronavirus Guidance & Resources page.
On March 18, 2020, the WEDC announced the creation of the Small Business 20/20 program to provide grants to support small businesses and micro-enterprises adversely impacted by COVID-19.
Medical College of Wisconsin Continuity Considerations for Organizations fact sheet (3.20.20).
MEP National Network – The Importance of Supply Chain Disruption Planning
Current PPE Inventories
If you currently have inventory of PPE items that can be shipped or picked up, please visit the State of WI COVID-19 PPE Donation/Buyback Program page to register.
Critical Needs Manufacturing
A catalog of open-source designs and specs for many of the critically needed supplies and devices has been created. These documents are being updated as more information becomes available. See the full list of specs.
We are helping the State of Wisconsin create and organize an effective supply chain to meet their PPE needs – both short or longer term. For more information on the items needed and to register your company’s ability to supply these item(s) in the future, please fill out this form.
Recommendations & Resources
Workplace Health & Safety
- MEP National Network – Protecting Your Business from COVID-19
- MEP National Network – Responding to a COVID-19 Exposure at Your Business
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- Additional OSHA COVID-19 Resources
- Environmental Protection Agency COVID-19 information, including effective disinfectants.
- CDC Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations
- Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce Infographics: Keeping the Workplace Safe, Keeping Commercial Establishments Safe
- Wisconsin Safety Council – Statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Human Resources Issues
- U.S. Department of Labor information: COVID-19 and the American Workplace
- U.S. Department of Labor Poster – Employee Rights: Paid Sick Leave and Expanded Family and Medical Leave under The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
- Current CDC Guidance for Travelers
- SVA Professional Services and Godfrey & Kahn S.C. 3/24 webinar: The Families First Coronavirus Response Act Overview
- Lake Effect Human Resources & Law – Sustain Your Culture with a Remote Workforce
- Medical College of Wisconsin: Coping with Coronavirus (COVID-19) (3.25.20)
- The Wisconsin Small Business Development Center provides information on business resources including SBA Economic Industry Disaster Loan Assistance, the WEDC Small Business 20/20 Grant program, and the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
- WEDC Small Business 20/20 program
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce CARES Act Paycheck Protection Program Summary
- SVA Biz Tips: What You Need to Know About the CARES Act
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Coronavirus Small Business Guide
- FEMA – Coronavirus Response: How to Help
- FDA Takes Action to Increase U.S. Supplies Through Instructions for PPE and Device Manufacturers
- FDA’s Food Safety and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 FAQs
- Foundation for Manufacturing Excellence Resources for Small and Medium Manufacturers
- WMEP Manufacturing Solutions Resources for Manufacturers
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce – Coronavirus Resources
- BioForward Wisconsin Coronavirus Resource Guide
- Milwaukee Business Journal Small Business Resource Guide
- McKinsey & Company – COVID-19: Implications for Business
- McKinsey & Company – Coronavirus: A response framework for advanced industries companies
- McKinsey & Company – Coronavirus: Five strategies for industrial and automotive companies