- What is COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease)?
- COVID-19 General Information
- Preparing Your Business – Protecting Your Employees
- Resuming Operations
- Business Continuity
- Current PPE Inventories
- Critical Needs Manufacturing
- Recommendations & Resources: Workplace Health & Safety, Human Resources Issues, Financial Resources, Additional Resources
What is COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease)?
COVID-19 is the disease caused by a coronavirus first identified in humans in December 2019. This is not the same as the coronaviruses that regularly circulate among humans and cause mild respiratory illness, like the common cold. This new coronavirus, formerly called the 2019 Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV, is concerning to health experts because so little is known about it and it can cause severe respiratory illness is some people.
COVID-19 General Information
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) website
- State of Wisconsin COVID-19 website
- Governor Evers’ plan to reopen the Wisconsin economy: Badger Bounce Back (April 20, 2020)
- Governor Evers’ Executive Orders
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
- Stop the Spread Flyer (English, Spanish)
- Medical College of Wisconsin: COVID-19 Facts (3.20.20)
- Medical College of Wisconsin: Flattening the COVID-19 Curve (3.24.20)
Preparing Your Business – Protecting Your Employees
MEP National Network member IMEC outlined five steps you can do this week to help prepare your business. You can read more on these steps here.
- Determine supply chain disruption risks
- Reeducate employees on preventing virus spread
- Review and revise cleaning schedules for common areas
- Work with local health professionals
- Communicate promptly
The CDC has issued Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers based on what is currently know about COVID-19. The CDC recommends employers use the following strategies:
- Encourage sick employees to stay home
- Separate sick employees
- Emphasize staying home when sick, respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene by all employees
- Perform routine environmental cleaning
- Advise employees before traveling to take certain steps
The Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development’s Unemployment FAQs addresses questions your employees may be asking.
Food Industry Best Practices
Every industry in the U.S. has already been or will be significantly affected by COVID-19. Now is the time to create or update your business continuity plan. The Department of Homeland Security’s Business Continuity Plan Template can help you get started. More information on business continuity planning is available here.
Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce (MMAC) hosted a webinar for businesses on March 17, 2020: How your business can withstand a global pandemic outbreak. View the recorded webinar through MMAC’s Coronavirus Guidance & Resources page.
Medical College of Wisconsin Continuity Considerations for Organizations fact sheet (3.20.20).
MEP National Network – The Importance of Supply Chain Disruption Planning
Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) – CISA Insights: Risk Management for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Deloitte CFO Insights – COVID-19 checklist: Practical steps for the immediate, midterm, and long-term
Current PPE Inventories
If you currently have inventory of PPE items that can be shipped or picked up, please visit the State of WI COVID-19 PPE Donation/Buyback Program page to register.
FEMA temporary rule on exporting critically needed supplies (April 7, 2020)
Critical Needs Manufacturing
We are helping the State of Wisconsin create and organize an effective supply chain to meet their PPE needs – both short or longer term. For more information on the items needed and to register your company’s ability to supply these item(s) in the future, please fill out this form.
A catalog of open-source designs and specs for many of the critically needed supplies and devices has been created. These documents are being updated as more information becomes available. See the full list of specs.
On April 15, the Wisconsin Legislature passed, and Governor Evers signed, COVID-19 response legislation. That legislation includes civil liability exemption for emergency medical supplies (see page 15 of the legislation for details). Please consult an attorney with questions about if or how this applies to your operations.
Face Shield Producers or Component Suppliers
Visit the University of Wisconsin Makerspace website for open-source designs, material specifications, and the process to ship finished shields to where they are most needed.
The standards community is helping COVID-19 response efforts by making their applicable standards available for the business and manufacturing community at no cost.
- ISO Standards, through the American National Standards Institute
- ASTM International
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI)
FDA Guidance & Enforcement Policies
On April 6, 2020, the FDA hosted a webinar: Enforcement Policy for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) During COVID-19: Immediately in Effect Guidance. The webinar slides can be found here. The webinar recording can be viewed here. FDA enforcement policies are below.
Recommendations & Resources
Workplace Health & Safety
- MEP National Network – Protecting Your Business from COVID-19
- MEP National Network – Responding to a COVID-19 Exposure at Your Business
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- Additional OSHA COVID-19 Resources
- Environmental Protection Agency COVID-19 information, including effective disinfectants.
- CDC Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations
- Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce Infographics: Keeping the Workplace Safe, Keeping Commercial Establishments Safe
- Wisconsin Safety Council – Statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Human Resources Issues
- U.S. Department of Labor information: COVID-19 and the American Workplace
- U.S. Department of Labor Poster – Employee Rights: Paid Sick Leave and Expanded Family and Medical Leave under The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
- Current CDC Guidance for Travelers
- CDC Public Health Recommendations after Travel-Associated COVID-19 Exposure
- SVA Professional Services and Godfrey & Kahn S.C. 3/24 webinar: The Families First Coronavirus Response Act Overview
- Lake Effect Human Resources & Law – Sustain Your Culture with a Remote Workforce
- Medical College of Wisconsin: Coping with Coronavirus (COVID-19) (3.25.20)
- The Wisconsin Small Business Development Center provides information on business resources including SBA Economic Industry Disaster Loan Assistance, the WEDC Small Business 20/20 Grant program, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, and the CARES Act.
- Small Business Administration Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loans FAQs (May 13, 2020)
- Wisconsin Grant Program for Ethnically Diverse Micro-Businesses
- WEDC Small Business 20/20 program
- SVA Biz Tips: What You Need to Know About the CARES Act
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Coronavirus Small Business Guide
- FEMA – Coronavirus Response: How to Help
- Foundation for Manufacturing Excellence Resources for Small and Medium Manufacturers
- WMEP Manufacturing Solutions Resources for Manufacturers
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce – Coronavirus Resources
- BioForward Wisconsin Coronavirus Resource Guide
- Milwaukee Business Journal Small Business Resource Guide
- McKinsey & Company – COVID-19: Implications for Business
- McKinsey & Company – Coronavirus: A response framework for advanced industries companies
- McKinsey & Company – Coronavirus: Five strategies for industrial and automotive companies